Wednesday, January 22, 2014

26. Day 15: Something you shouldn't do, ever!

During my usual morning walk I found a nice subject, I remember saying to my hubby "I found my subject for today's post".  I was happy!

After I leave him at work, I returned where my subject was and start taking shots.  I had the sun on the right side of my lens (out of the view of course) but I could see green lens flare on the viewfinder (you'll see what I'm talking about once you see the photo).  I tried to change my angle, my position to avoid the flare (while trying to keep the same composition), but none of that worked because the composition changed and I already had the final photo in my head.  I shoot a couple of photos and checked my viewfinder to see if I could see the flare, zoomed in and nothing...so I didn't pay much attention to the flare.

I thought, it's kind of back light situation, so, my subject has to be a silhouette, the flare won't be noticeable if the subject is black.  But, I must admit, I heard a little voice whispering at me "the flare will appear in your photos and you'll be very angry at yourself if you don't do something to avoid it", but of course I choose not to listen. That was the worst decision EVER!!! The bloody flare ruined all the shots!!

So, how to fix it? Well, easy, go out again when the reflection of the sun is not on your lens and try again (not even a lens hood could have helped me because the sun was almost in front of me).

The key message for today's issue is: If you see lens flare on your viewfinder while you are composing the photo and don't want to have it in your photo, don't shoot and find a way to avoid it! But first and foremost LISTEN TO YOUR INNER VOICE!


Nikon D90 (18-200mm f/3.5-5.6) - 105mm 1/320s  f/14


After the fiasco of this morning, I waited until evening and went out again. I knew I won't be able to take the photo I wanted because the sun has to be behind the Church and in the evening it's in front. I waited until dusk and then I start shooting with long exposure aperture. It was pretty amazing to see the cross of the Church so bright in the evening, almost like it wanted to capture the last rays of sun. 

Now, I'm happy with the results, but still want to shoot the photo that I have in my head, but in order to do that I'll need to take the shot almost at sunrise.


Nikon D90 (18-200mm f/3.5-5.6) - 120mm  8s  f/18 


No comments:

Post a Comment